Thursday, June 4, 2009

32mm cabinet making 101

38 separate pieces of material not counting for the hardware, for this vanity. Sheesh. Now I just have to negotiate my way around some big sheets of melamine to see where I've made the mistakes. Waste will ensue I'm certain.

I phoned C.T.'s and asked the length and width of a 16mm sheet of melamine and they gave me some goofy measurements that don't jive with anything metric or imperial. I'll have to dance around the phone book or make a run to St. Malo with a tape in hand.

The learning curve is so much fun when one thinks one is on the other (downhill) side of it. All that remains is to make the mess.

The European style of construction is kind of cool, and wow is it tight on tolerances. Right down to the millimeter. I think I've found a home.

I'm sure there are errors in my layout, but it's the best I can do for a first attempt. I'm beyond trying to optimize the cutting schedule/layout so I'm sure I'll get into a second sheet before necessary, but that will be OK. It's not like there is a shortage of places to put cabinets here and that was the idea of learning this system anyway.

cabinet_back_750

No comments:

Post a Comment