Monday, September 19, 2005

Haunts of the Black Massuer et al

So much to write and so close to snoozin'.









I've spent a better part of the day installing three separate versions of Linux.  Ubuntu, Knoppix and Fedora Core 4 were the first round.  I had just nicely got an old install of XP that hadn't worked since I moved the drive, booting again and now neither XP nor win98 will boot.  Although it's not the new OS's that was causing the fuss.  It was that dang brand spanky DVD burner I bought on Thursday.





Oh how sweet it is! 





I've got to return a couple of cool films to a friend on Tuesday when
we get together to ride the big bike for MS Manitoba, so it was nice to
have those images myself.  Crap Shoot and Haunts of the Black Massuer were the films in question.  Both are by local filmmaker Jeff McKay. 





I got distracted from my computer work tonight with salon.com.  My G_d,
if I ever even so much as glance at that site I'm gone for hours.  It's
an evil thing to be so moved by the written word.  Tonight the bait was
a column called "Ask Camille" reportedly by Camille Paglia.  "Camille Paglia's online advice for the culturally disgruntled" is the header so I easy pickings with that kind of tone. 



That lead to a column on the OscarsThen another, before I realised I had to sleep, like that every matters!




I feel like I've traveled through time quite a ways since I last posted here.  I've spent a fair bit of energy at the addforms.com
site.  I have withdrawn from there since quiting as an admin.  It felt
good to be more supportive there.  I enjoy the exercise thread where I
tout the merit of regular aerobic exercise to help my ADHD.  I'm a combined type and medicated with dextroamphetamine.  Go ahead, tell me it's bull shit.  I'm not much of a fan of Ritalin, but dex has been wonderful.




I also had a friend send me this cool clock
I still haven't quite figured out what the difference in time between
the National Research Council's time signal and the ones for my time
server sync on this box and this clock are.  The Internet seems to be
about 6 or 7 seconds fast.  Things that make a horologist go hmmmmm.










Then there was the whole bit about exploring religions and all things
"New Age"
.   I was periodically distracted of course and ended up with
some alternate news sources like fark.com




Or, "Pot makes you stupid."




Or, "Home Churched
I liked this one.  I live in a bible belt that scares the shit out of
me most of the time.  People resigning their ability to reason to
another.  It just gives me the creeps.  I'm beginning to think we are
entering a dark age.  The Onion is a fantastic site for those not quite brain dead yet.




Then I got a little more militant
I really am becoming filled with the need to be more active in my
activism.  I don't think I'm headed to the night to tag myself into
history just yet though.  I have other more subversive ideas brewing.










Pantheism was what
got me started on a long and bleary eyed read that lead me time and
again back to my love affair with the social and political aspects of
open source and free software.



The Urban Pantheist



The Clue Train Manifesto kids were what perked up my ears when I read this story about some IT guys in New Orleans
recently.  There is a download file available to listen to an
interesting interview.  The link here leads to that page and an article
I enjoyed for it's connection to all that's good in people.  "doc" is an interesting dude, but it seems all the guys who wrote the CTM have continued to be vital.




I read another bit about this crew of IT guys in New Orleans and it was linked to "doc" and to a great archive of images of the scene in New Orleans after the blast of Katina.



Book of the Gear
is where I bailed.  I've been through a lot of this woman's work at
deviantart.com  Reading on this screen is demanding a better monitor. 




And sex can not be too far from my line of sight.  I thought that everyone should start out knowing the down and dirty details of sex.  This is a bit lengthy, but I'm hoping the bible belt squeamish will know enough to avoid this link.









No comments:

Post a Comment