Thursday, September 8, 2005

dogs life

This is Meagan
She's three, and about the fastest thing on four legs.  She's half
pointer and was Dave Hochman's top prospect for sprint sled dog racing
on his first string.  We had so much rain last year that she just gave
up an began to hate the mud and wet they were forced to do the land
training in. 





I'm a looser when it comes to that big soft spot in my heart for
animals.  I've been with Meagan now for several months and she's still
as wily as all get all.  She's not even house trained yet.  She can't
trust me enough to take food from me.  I've taken to feeding her out
side so she gets enough to eat. 





She's a dry dog at the best of times, but a few days of missed meals and she's scary thin.





I love the look of her and she's a really smart dog, but sorely missing
that puppy training from 8-16 weeks where exposure to a wide range of
experiences is so helpful later when they need to live in the company
of humans.





She's still not able to be off leash and I'm not sure that she ever
will be, but maybe if I don't keep the colt this winter, I'll spend
some time training Meagan in basic obedience.





Adam's Task by Vicki Hearne, anything by William Koehler and The Monk's of New Skete's - The Art of Raising a Puppy are all bibles to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment