Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ill wind at Senkiw



I'm struggling with my running. Well, not really the running, but my stamina to run. I'm so frustrated. I'm getting myself dug into a hole of depression over several elements of the problem.

One is that the sun never shines! It was out today for the first time in ages, but I spent my time tabulating figures for my income tax and then vegged in front of the tube watching the better parts of two football games. I love football. I'm not much of a technician, but the execution of a fine reception is a deep pleasure. :D

So, I could use much more ultraviolet radiation for sure. I just don't do as well in cloud cover.

Second and not the least damaging, is that I'm stuck with a body that's sensitive to allergies. For a month now I've watched as my lame immune system has been stuck fighting some unknown force. It's left me weak and without stamina to do much of anything, much less run.

I ran once last week for three miles and I was like a lead balloon the next day. Yesterday I got the bird cage out of the house and the furnace cleaned up and inspected. I forgot to take the exhaust pipe down and have a go at it, but maybe tomorrow I can finish that up.

I don't have the regular allergic responses going on, like a running nose and watering eyes, but it's the same style of fatigue I experience every spring and summer. I think I've narrowed some of the trouble down to the black lab that's been finding it's way into the house in the last three weeks. I don't know what the difference between the short hair of our little timid Megan dog, and black Tom is, but it's one other thing to check.

I've had to drop my half marathon race. I will have missed the peak mileage weeks. I could likely do the distance, but I can't see it being fun. It's a long way to go to know you are ill prepared right from the beginning. I'm so sad that so many things have conspired against me in this, but consistency hasn't exactly been my strong suit through my life.

I've been back to sitting zazen over the last while to help focus. I've been attempting to drop 5 kilos before my birthday as well as getting some more sleep, all in order to get my immune system back on track. Tonight I gave up and began to take the systemic antihistamines I take in the spring. Maybe this week I can begin again to build up my mileage.
Sucking wind on all four corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment