Monday, January 9, 2006

Dead Dog Cafe.

Had a dog shot today. That's never fun. Amy was too dominant for her own good and went to the neighbours while all the girls, including PU, were out for a walk. Amy proceeded to try and kill their dogs.

Bonnie courageously dove in with her boots flying, but Amy never even looked up, so bent was she on killing these two others on their own yard. Fortunately Joe is handy with a rifle and quickly brought things to a dead stand still. Amy took three shots. The first to her hind quarters, the second took half her face off and then one through the brain finally dropped her.

I don't envy Joe having to do the dirty work. When I got there Joe and Mike were all wound up defending their actions, but they had mistaken me for someone on the blame. I'd have done the same thing if the tables were reversed. They felt horrible, but it saved the lives of both the other dogs and possibly our brave Bonnie from harm.

Boo knew the consequences of Amy's actions so was hot onto the scene to intervene before the inevitable lead pill was needed, but Amy was too far gone on her mission when Bonnie spoke so strongly with her boot toe to the ribs. What a sad thing it is when dogs can't accept that humans must come first in the pecking order. Sadder still when humans can't read the signs clearly and leave a dangerous situation to play out in unpredictable ways.

I'll take Joe some of his favourite baking powder biscuits tomorrow and check to see that his dogs don't need some veterinary attention. One of them took quite a bite to the shoulder apparently and I'd be surprised if that was the only injury. By tomorrow the pain should be set in too far to hid if bones and serious injury is present.

Adri, Manon, Pierrette were all watching as this unfolded as a massive dog fight to the death. Bonnie watched Amy get killed with a front row seat. Phil, Amy's owner, and I went back after checking it out for ourselves first in the car, with the truck to haul her off to a resting place where she can join the environment she came from. I wish it was not the first time I've delivered dogs there, but sadly it's not an unfamiliar place to me.

To take responsibility for husbandry of any kind is surely to involve blood being spilled. It's most painful when they are babies, but that's another story for another day and I'll be grateful I have a whole lot less killing in my life than I've had in the past. I'm just not cut out for it. I can and I do, but it hurts more every time.

That said, I was unmoved by Amy's violent death in the ways the others were. Because I'm fluent in dog, it was no surprise to me that she had found her way into such a situation. I knew her well and knew she was not fit for our lives. She was visiting with us after several months away and was headed back to Phil's today, but it wasn't meant to be. I am relieved that such a careful watch is not longer necessary. Dogs are not to be taken lightly. I've owned several pit bulls and more than my fair share of dominant and dangerous dogs. I'm glad I no longer feel the need to explore those extremes.

Take care.
one

No comments:

Post a Comment