Sunday, October 30, 2005

 I feel like a bag of hammers.







I don't know how I'm going to make a stab at a 7.25km run tomorrow at a 6:20 min/km pace.







Got the Subaru home in one piece after a mouse nibbled coolant hose
spewed green blood everywhere.  Although once I was a couple of kms
into the run, the smell of something about to burst into flames was
quite strong.  I pondered whether it was electrical or mechanical all
the way home.  I had become convinced it was emanating from inside the
car, but no.  When I got out of the car at home, it was clear very
quickly where the hot spot was.  I quickly parked the car away from
hydro lines and all burnable terrain and structure.







The left front brake cylinder must be seized solid.  It looked a little warm.  Yes there was smoke.







The hose replacements was a dance of the devil.  There are parts of me
that abore cars and their repair.  It's always a battle of tools and
the ones you don't have to do the job easily.  Even if you have the
tools it seems as if it's still more difficult to do much of anything. 
I must have spent an hour trying to put on a simple 10cm piece of 10mm
hose and get the clamps done up.  My legs took a beating trying to prop
my body in just the right contortions to bloody my knuckles
repeatedly. 







Then it was onto the asparagus patch.  It's been taken over with grass
and weeds for years and today I was not going to rest until it had
submitted to my will.  I don't suppose the patch was much more than a
meter and a half square when all was accounted for.  Again it took a
much bigger chunk out of my available resources to claw back the root
stock and plant it into rows clean of the weeds.  I could not believe
the root bound proliferation of asparagus root under all that weedage. 








For years we've had a measly output from that patch and heaven only
knows why!  There was enough root stock in that bundle to plant two
long rows of it.  Now to keep it clean and fed through next year! 
Tomorrow the garlic gets the business and that will be it for
the garden this year.  I'm so grateful the fall has been nice enough to
let me get through all that mess from our horrendously wet spring and
summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment