Tuesday, February 24, 2009

onions eggs dog poo and birds

The last of the beautiful sweet onions from Brenda. It remains impressive to me that she can create sweet onions that remain dormant through the winter. This last one obviously didn't heed the call. These were not the compact little keepers that shut down so tightly. These were white skinned big flaked sweet onions. PU used the last of them on the weekend in a very colourful stir fry and nailed the onions to that ever so sweet spot where they are barely warmed through. I should see if Brenda is in need of more eggs.

onion_braid_750


That's how we work it. She keeps me in onions and I try and keep her in eggs. Brenda has many gifts.

I kept many more chickens this winter than most years. It's been two years since we had a glut of eggs. After losing 19 hens to a dog on a killing spree, it's taken a while to build up the flock again. Last year I introduced some commercial hens into the mix. They irritate me to no end with their light weight flying and enthusiasm. When I'm in the coup I don't need hens flying around. It's the dirtiest place imaginable. Sometimes I wear a mask, but most times getting it on is a bother in the winter.

Rosie took a few tentative bites of breakfast this morning, but not enough to alleviate my concerns about her appetite. I fed her right next to Tom the bomb too and the competition didn't seem to help much. I'm feeling the stress, but Rosie doesn't seem to be. At least it isn't showing up in her mood. She's still quite perky and willing to bounce around and play. She did have another pee inside yesterday evening in the same place as the previous day. I don't think it's a full release of her bladder contents, but it's enough that she won't lay back down on her mat. What's up with that? I thought we had finished with house training years ago. I'll have to leave her outside a lot today. It's a warmish day which helps. I can't deal with any more curve balls from her quarter today.

The new birds got a good work out last night with PU and Snoot taking one each to a shoulder for their introduction to card playing after dinner last night. I handled them a few times briefly during the day and didn't get bit once. It's been decided that we'll let their wing feathers grow out after the majority of the taming is over with and then allow them to grow in completely. That way we can leave them caged unless someone wants to tend them and we can enjoy them at full throttle when they are out and about.

Holly

thing_1_750


Phoebe

thing_2_750


Favourite quote today:
Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs...
- Dead Dog Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment