Saturday, February 21, 2009

Nana's Magic Baked Beans

These are the bomb. Boo and I got to craving a batch of beans and she had lived a life void of NMBB so far and I rectified that this week. Trouble was they didn't last worth a damn so this time we used two pounds of pinto beans to see if that would slack our hunger for the magic.

I'm glad I stayed up to check on the oven because it did not shut off when I thought I had set it to shut off. Nana's magic dish works like magic. Double magic beans will be just the ticket for breakfast tomorrow. You're all coming to cut and haul wood right? It's nice light work. Really it is. My bets are on Boo having too much calculus to even take a step in the wood cutting direction. Manon will be enjoying splitting the wood too much to help cut more and that's entirely OK as it all has to be done. We'll all be running on the mighty pinto regardless of task.

Sunday I'm looking forward to picking up a few

I love this dish

magic_beans_750_0


From above

magic_beans_750


Ingredients

1 pound Dried Pinto Beans
1 cup Ketchup
1 large Onion, chopped
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp hot dry pepper flakes
Dash of Worsteshire Sauce
** edit ** 250g bacon

Method

- Wash and sort the beans
- Cover with 6 cups of water and let stand over night
- Drain
- Add five cups fresh water and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until cooked to perfection
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cups liquid
- Cook onion, garlic and bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 15 minutes.
** I cook the bacon up separately and cook it the way I like it, almost crisp.

- Add these ingredients, including some or all the fat, to the beans.
**I don't add all the fat.

- Add all other ingredients and mix it up well.

- Transfer to a bean pot.

- Cover and bake at 250F for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bake for 30 more minutes uncovered.

Old beans take a lot time to cook up and often that's what we're stuck with here. If cooked long enough and properly hydrated they can be very good tasting.

I speed up my hydration (soaking) by heating the water up at first. These beans tonight are ancient and too about 4 hours too cook properly. Do not expect them to continue to cook in the bean pot with the rest of the ingredients. They won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment