Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Red tail hawk

Add hawks to the squeeze of predator pressure this year. Yesterday a spectacular red tail hawk took a free lunch here. When I noticed that there were no birds out in the run I knew something was up.

I wasn't prepared for this hawk to be as bold as brass, but it sure was. Given that we're down between 20 and 25 birds this year, it might have occurred to me to get my shotgun before heading off to investigate, but no. So there he or she is ripping the tastiest bits out from the headless chicken not more than twenty feet from me. It stayed stuck to it's task too. I was thinking it might take a swing at defending the kill as I approached, but it took off. What a sight. They are majestic displays of evolutions vigour.

Later when I got a shot away I had run out of the house without proper footwear and left my glasses behind. Maybe a second cup of coffee will help tomorrow. I made some feathers fly, but when I did, he just jumped down a couple of branches so he didn't pose such and easy target and stayed there while I cursed my lack of preparation.

Now all the hawk as to do is fly by and the chickens all take cover. Hopefully the rain tomorrow will keep the excitement to a minimum.

Wayne Wood's image from Photozo looks very much like what I was confronted with.



No comments:

Post a Comment