Friday, September 8, 2006

Knit one, pearl two

After much starting and stopping and ripping out, the learning curve is beginning to appear as something other than vertical. I began by asking a few questions of a master knitter. I have an aunt that double clicks!

I learnt a few different ways of casting on, but most ended up being way too tight. So I practised casting on until things loosened up a bit. Then I set to learn to straight knit. I began by casting on about forty stitches which turned out to be too depressing. I would get a couple of rows done and drop a stitch. I didn't know enough to be careful enough to put it back together!

Lion brand yarn has a great little tutorial in pdf format, just aimed at people just beginning to knit, like me. The same information is available on line viewing too. My aunt suggested I look at that site for ideas and it was a great help. Thanks Rita!

I backed it off to twenty stitches and slowly stopped dropping stitches. The biggest boost was seeing how Mum held her wool and needles. Getting the hang of that setup took some time, but I knew it would come.

I learnt to pearl the other day and tonight I finally put the knitting and pearling together. It's not perfect, but it's coming along.

The first part of the piece shown below, was done by knitting one and pearling two, then continuing with where ever I was in the sequence when I started the next row. I never did figure out for certain how many rows it took me to get back to starting a row with "knit one", but I think it was three. The pattern game will be an interesting one. Even keeping count of the cycles of one and two seem a handful just now!

I'm going to knit this small ball of yarn out into some other patterns and move onto something more ambitious project I think. Mum told me it took her a year to knit her first sweater. She was only twelve I think at the time, but I'm certainly feeling twelve!

Now the knitting is nice and loose!

knitonepearltwo_750

No comments:

Post a Comment