Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Snake hook construction



Mum, you'll have to be patient with me. You've seen the pattern before. heheh I took an hour after work and made myself a kick ass snake hook. There's nothing quite like having a shop is there? It's the sweetest thing I do in life is to hammer out something like this where the gratification is almost instant. I really should do more of it.


The last time I bent .250" rod was for a bike rack to fit on my road bike. I actually hauled that thing out last year and cleaned some of the bird crap off it. I think I'll finish the job and buy new rubber for it and get back to doing some cycling. It'll off set some of the running.

I put in my three miles in an absolutely brilliant sunny day. No wind, and so blue it was tough to go back inside. I was slow and heavy with whatever is ailing me, but it was nice to be out anyway. I didn't have to yank on Tom's chain once! That's a first. He's got some "go" that boy. He's absolutely trashed Megan's dish. Someone on the MHS board suggested filling the base with concrete. I thought that sounded like a good plan. However, stainless steel is an even better bet I think.









I'm so glad not to be in the city at this time of year. It's still so bright and white here, even as the sun gets carried away with the heat of spring pushing in. I found a snow sliding saucer sunk down a foot by the house today. I guess the sun's heat had soaked into the dark blue colour and melted itself down toward the dirt. Nothing showing in the garden yet, but soon. This spring I'll be jumping on the tiller early to try and beat back a bit of the pasture for a garden on higher ground. I'm sick of moss! My luck it'll be all drought for years to come. I'm hedging my bets by keeping some of the old garden going. Mother nature always finds ways to keep ahead of me though, so I'm sure to learn something new again this year.


So here's the construction series for the snake hook. It turned out well I thought.


The head cut off from the shaft of the golf club.





Turned and drilled the plug to fit the shaft and the hook material then cut it off and later trimmed it up.





Here's the plug fit over the hook material.





The hook material fit to the plug.





Bent, but unfinished hook.





Close fitting hook in the plugged shaft.





The finished hook.





The smoothly rounded hook tip.





The flat flat. :P





The finished snake hook.





No comments:

Post a Comment