Tuesday, February 21, 2006

reality check

I'm getting old and can't ignore as much of the everyday stresses as I once could.

I'm working on the third week back into gear. I haven't been able to get beyond the 20 mile per week threshold without my immune system showing signs of stress, so some things will have to change.


Sleep is the primary impediment to progress and the one I'm focused on most. Second to sleep would be diet. I have a fast metabolism, but tend to over eat and that bogs me down tremendously.

The strategy lately has been to establish a lower threshold and work to have strong resulting recovery by having a better sleep pattern and a lighter diet. I want to bring strength training back in regularly too, so although my mileage is way down, I'm taking two days a week to pound the core strength work.

So far it seems to be working. I got a lot of animals out of the house which helps keep the allergic responses down to a minimum. I love animals around me, but push has come to shove. I retained a small young budgie to tame and I'm picking up a yearling snake later this week. Might have an adult coming as a rescue animal later in the week, I don't know yet. Excited!!!

Monday is core strength.

Tuesday is 2 mile running.

Wednesday is off.

Thursday is two miles running.

Friday is core strength.

Saturday is off.

Sunday is 2 miles running.

I'll do this until I can see myself getting stronger in mood, resiliency and fitness. Once I can get that bit of self preservation looked after, I'll add another 2 mile run to make it a four day a week event or maybe simply extend the Sunday run to be a long one.

It may be necessary to not have a four day week plan for running in order to ensure a strong recovery between runs. So much depends on the quality of rest.

I've been reading and thinking a lot about training focused on recovery rather than the stimulus of the workout itself. The thought being centered around a workout not being much use in advancing my fitness if I'm not applying the stress from a position of strength.

From my immune system's response to the 20 mile week, I'd say it's all about recovery. If I can recover strongly, then applying a stress to the system will force it to adapt, but if not, I just realign myself with the ditch again.

I knew this running thing would push me to new levels of understanding about how best to care for myself. It's working. I hope by beginning again and approaching a long steady curve toward higher mileage, I can reach my goals and still retain the other activities I enjoy. That 24 hours in a day rule blows.

This all is a blow to the ego, but so much better than walking away. Square one again, but a little wiser.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment