Thursday, November 17, 2005

By the light of the silvery moon

The night sky has always held my respect. Since moving far from the bright lights of the city, I've come to appreciate it even more.


As fall progressed and the weather remained mild, the sky began to look odd to me as I would make my nightly jaunt to kill the lights in the chicken coup. Normally Orion is not a major player in the eastern sky until the ground is frozen, but this year it seemed to be present without that qualification.


Last night it was a cool -20C or so and I wasn't brave enough to take advantage of the good "seeing" to jump Mars as it approached transit. I did get to thinking about the rings around the moon though. Some reported seeing a tear dropped ring effect which was new to me.




For the curious lurking in the shadows:
Moon light effects.


Atmospheric Optics


No comments:

Post a Comment