Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Acorn glut

There was some talk earlier this month about just how parasitic the Virginia Creeper was to the ancient Burr Oak north of the house. The creeper makes for a spectacular splash of colour later on in the fall so it would be a shame to have to miss it.

Stress produces results, of that, I'm convinced. A pruning of the apple tree last year produced a bounty of crabs this summer.

When I went to attend to the humming bird feeder this morning I nearly went over on my ankle from the abundant acorns acting like ball bearings. They've been hitting the house like bullets for a week. I haven't been beaned yet, but the dogs make it clear that it's a possibility. They keep their distance from that tree.

I hope the oak isn't in a panic to reproduce because it's stressed. More homework is required.

acorns_750

No comments:

Post a Comment