Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Fall garlic and egg yolks

I finally retrieved the garlic from hanging in the out house, before it got any colder and froze beyond help. Today is a balmy one for weather with almost no wind. It's been impossible to stay inside! The sill on the guest house door got sealed, the spinning vent on the roof got a lube job, and the garlic got clipped, bagged an weighed.

fall_garlic_750


The garlic didn't amount to much. Next year I'll have to be resolved to buy 10kg just to plant. I can never seem to keep up. After all was said and done with the canning and consumption to date, I've got 2.77kg left. Some of that came from a friend that is an avid grower and he likes to share which is the gardeners way I think. He had some really interesting varieties this year. The one that was most remarkable to look at was this really tall Russian type. The image isn't the best to show off it's height very well, but it was as tall as the door into the shop.

fall_garlic_750_0


I brought a late delivered egg in last night when I had been out to tuck the layers into bed. It was cracked and I set it aside in the kitchen to feed to the dogs this morning. It caught Manon's attention. It was large, but at this time of year we get both extremes. The young hens sometimes lay little robins eggs for their first effort and then the elder hens sometimes come back on line after a bit of a break and theirs are enormous! Double yolks are common from those older hens, but a triple yolk is new to me. In fifteen years of keeping layers, this is the first triple yolk I've seen. Makes my sphincter tighten just thinking about passing that egg.

triple_yolk_750

No comments:

Post a Comment